Stress Management - Mental Health
Dealing with any amount of stress in your life can bring with it certain mental and physical challenges. Feeling stressed can have an effect on a person’s ability to perform everyday tasks and life activities, and have an impact on work, family life, and overall well-being. An overload of stress can present difficulties for some in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Those suffering from stress that is left unmanaged can, over time, experience significant health consequences, including mental health symptoms such as depression and anxiety. Fitness and nutrition experts have differing views on how often you should exercise and what diet, supplement, and nutrition plans are best, but most agree that regular forms of fitness help you reduce stress, and increase your overall well-being and longevity. Specific stress management techniques can also be very effective. Do you have questions or concerns about your current stress levels? Would you like guidance or information from an expert who specializes in stress management? Are you looking for stress management ideas or resources within your community to help you manage your overall stress level? Kinjunxion is here to help with sources of support and information.
You are not alone. Connect with others who may be going through the same thing, find professional help and resources near you. The Kinjunxion community is here to help.
Resources in ,
8 Keys to Stress Management (8 Keys to Mental Health)
Mental Wellness Made Easy
The Smart Way to Manage Stress: Emotion Regulation and Stress Management for Everyone
Anxiety and Stress Management
The Science of Stress Management
A Guide to Best Practices for Better Well-Being
Integrated Mental Health Care
A Comprehensive, Community-Based Approach
Mental Health Menders Coloring Books
Strategies for Emotional Fitness
Organizational Stress Management
A Strategic Approach
An Integrated Approach to Therapy
Principles and Strategies for Health and Well-Being
Disaster Mental Health Services
A Primer for Practitioners
Healing Arts & Recovery with Peer Support
Hamilton Mental Health Outreach
Joseph Brant Hospital - Community Mental Health Outpatient Services - Burlington - Joseph Brant Community Health Centre (Brant Centre)
Child and Adolescent Clinic (CAP)
Provides support to children/youth under the age of 18 years.
* Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist works with Social Worker to assess and provide treatment recommendations on complex cases.
Concurrent Disorders Clinic (Addictions & Mental Illness)
Specialized assessments of clients with co-occurring mental health and addictions disorders.
* psychiatrists work with Social Worker to identify clients who would benefit from longer term individual treatment.
* clinic staff also provide "Health & Hope Group," a 10-week psycho-educational support group for people who experience difficulties with both a mental health issue and substance abuse issue.
Early Intervention in Psychosis (Phoenix)
Regional clinical program provides service to clients 14-40 years of age experiencing a first episode of psychosis.
* jointly managed by Joseph Brant Hospital, Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital, North Halton Mental Health Clinic, ADAPT, and the Halton-Peel Schizophrenia Society.
* for more information, see separate listing here
General Psychiatrist Consultation Clinic
Assessment, medication review, and treatment recommendations via a "shared care" model with family physicians.
* follow up appointments provided as necessary for more complex cases to ensure the efficacy of medications prescribed and that the recommended treatment plan is working for the client.
Geriatric Psychiatric Consultation Service
Supports clients aged 65 and older who are residents of Burlington, for more details see separate listing here
Halton Homes (homelessness service)
Provides clinical support to Halton Homes service which targets mental health clients at risk of being homeless and provides both clinical case management and housing supports.
* Ontario Ministry of Health supportive housing initiative, lead agency is Summit Housing and Outreach Program.
* for more information see separate listings here
PACT (Program of Assertive Community Treatment)
Community outreach program of Halton Region, is housed at Joseph Brant serving all Halton residents, see separate listing here
PHAST (Prioritizing Health through Acute Stabilization and Treatment)
Access to mental health and addiction services for individuals 16 and older with mental health and/or addiction concerns who have an urgent need for acute stabilization and intervention
* multidisciplinary model, which includes the services of a registered nurse, addictions specialists, social workers, a child and youth intensive worker, a peer support worker, an occupational therapist, a transitional age youth social worker, a case manager and clerical support
* treatment includes stabilization and referral to social service agency partners through a combination of group and one-on-one sessions for individuals and their families
Available through referral from a physician:
1. Short Term Treatment
Meets the needs of individuals who are experiencing mental health issues such as mood or anxiety disorders.
* assessment, psychiatric evaluation, treatment planning, skill development and coordination of community resources.
* an average of 12 therapy sessions is offered.
* clinicians also offer treatment via several groups, e.g. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for clients with depression or anxiety.
2. Intensive Case Management
Inter-professional team offers comprehensive outreach services to adult clients and their families.
* addresses the multiple needs of clients with predominantly psychotic or severe mood disorders (eg. bipolar) and focuses on the client's goals and effective community reintegration.
3. Medication Clinic
Operates with both RN and Psychiatrist support for the follow up of primarily a chronic population.
* goals are to facilitate the optimal use of psychotropic medications with a view to prevent/reduce hospitalizations and Emergency Department visits, ensure client stability in the community and support clients in maintaining adequate functioning and an enhanced quality of life.
Intensive Case Management Access Coordination
Joseph Brant Hospital - PACT for Halton - Joseph Brant Community Health Centre
* also known as "Hospital without Walls," the program is organized as a mobile interdisciplinary team that provides round-the-clock clinical treatment, rehabilitative, and support services to individuals with a severe and persistent mental illness, in their homes
Services provided by PACT include:
* comprehensive case management with a rehabilitation focus
* crisis assessment and intervention
* symptom assessment and management
* administration and monitoring of medication
* activities of daily living
* social and leisure skills development
* supportive counselling
* support to caregivers
Summit Housing and Outreach Programs - Mental Health Supportive Housing and Outreach Programs, Burlington Office - Burlington Office
Halton HOMES Program
provides affordable housing and supports for adults who have been diagnosed with a serious mental illness who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
Assertive Community Treatment Team (ACTT)
* for clients with severe and persistent mental illness, with priority given to people with schizophrenia, other psychotic disorders and with bipolar disorder
Outreach case management/support service
* for clients 18 years of age or older with a diagnosed mental illness living in the community
Core supportive housing program
* provides safe, secure, affordable, and decent accommodation in a variety of settings
* rent-geared-to-income housing
Justice Supportive Housing Program
* provides affordable accommodation and flexible supports for people with serious mental illness who have come into conflict with the criminal justice system
Support & Housing - Halton - Support & Housing - Halton, Burlington Office - Burlington Office
Rent-geared-to-income supportive housing options:
* transitional housing leading to independent living
* collaborative shared housing
* shared townhouse living
* individual apartments
Mental health community support programs:
* case management
* life skills training
* supportive counselling
* activities of daily living
* access to community services
* 24/7 access to telephone support for program participants
* ongoing support and housing services to youth at risk ready to transition into the adult system
Women's Centre of Halton (The) - Support Groups and Workshops - Oakville
* learn how to ask for and receive the things you want from life
* practice communication skills to be more assertive at work, in relationships and other areas of your life
* participants learn how to identify harmful patterns and develop skills to improve relationships by communicating their needs more effectively without guilt, shame or fear
Depression and anxiety support group:
* come together with other women and learn tools to help cope with depression and anxiety
* focuses on making positive changes and facing challenges head on
* provides the opportunity to foster friendships, build confidence and promote positive thinking
Separation and Divorce:
* walks participants through the emotional stages of separating and divorcing an intimate partner (grief, anger, devastation)
in a safe, supportive caring group environment
* a chance to share concerns and connect with other women
Divorce Financial workshop:
* a divorce financial analyst discusses financial mistakes women can avoid
* topics include selling or keeping your home, support payments, income tax, banking and credit
Family Law 101:
* one day seminar introducing the basics of Family law and covering everything women need to know about separation and divorce
* topics include property division, spousal support, child custody and access, separation agreements and child support
* helps participants manage their stress and teaches strategies to work through the challenges of everyday life
Coffee and conversation:
* join the group for lighthearted conversation and snacks
* a monthly drop-in workshop for participants to learn ways to practice self care in the midst of all of the chaos
Joseph Brant Hospital - Community Mental Health Outpatient Services - Phoenix Program Early Intervention Service for Psychosis - Burlington - Joseph Brant Community Health Centre (Brant Centre)
* clinical partnership between Halton Healthcare, Joseph Brant Hospital, North Halton Mental Health Clinic, ADAPT and the Schizophrenia Society of Ontario
* rapid psychiatric assessment
* treatment based on individual concerns/goals including education about psychosis
* assistance with work, school, social and leisure activities
* specialized support to family and friends
* addictions counselling
* community program referral and illness management instruction after discharge
Canadian Mental Health Association - Education and Training - Halton Region Branch Head Office - Oakville
Courses and workshops
ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training)
- a two day workshop to learn how to feel more comfortable, confident, and competent in helping to prevent the immediate risk of suicide
- learn to assess the immediate risk of suicide, recognize opportunities for help, and apply a model for suicide intervention
Mental Health First Aid
- a two-day, basic level interactive course to learn how to help someone showing signs of a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis
- for those who have limited or no mental health knowledge
- learn the signs and symptoms of mental health problems and crisis situations
- learn a basic model to provide Mental Health First Aid
- obtain information about how to help in a crisis, and how to encourage a person to identify options for help
Take Charge! Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
Administered by Hamilton Health Sciences in collaboration with other area health care organizations. Workshops are delivered in community spaces throughout Local Health Integration Network (Hamilton, Niagara, Haldimand, Brant). Each 2.5 hours session in the six-week series is led by two trained presenters.